Earth Science – Grades 5- 7 – Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 – 20 Weeks
Tuesday, September 15 2020 @ 11:00AM - Tuesday, March 23 2021 @ 12:30PM EDT| $400.00
The Earth needs us now more than ever, and it needs students who understand the different systems affecting the Earth. We will take an in depth look at energy, tectonic plates, weather, climate, volcanoes, etc. We will also be introduced to important scientific concepts such as heat, density and buoyancy. We won’t stop at the edge of the Earth though, we will also discuss the solar system including the sun, planets, moons etc. Student are encouraged to take a hands-on approach to learning. Students will be asked to explore the world around them using virtual models, watching videos, discussion, debate and experimenting.
Students will be asked to complete reading and research ahead of time so that our class time can focus on lectures, discussions, activities, etc.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the scientific method
- Distinguish between minerals and rocks
- Describe earth’s surface and earth’s history
- Explain earth’s water cycle
- Differentiate between the different layers of the atmosphere
- Describe the effects of weather and climate on Earth
- Describe the characteristics of the planets in our solar system
- Discuss the earth-moon-sun system
NOTE: Registration deadline is September 10, 2020.
There must be a minimum of 5 students to run this class.