Physical Science – 20 Weeks – Grades 6-8 – Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 – 20 Weeks
Wednesday, September 16 2020 @ 11:00AM - Wednesday, March 24 2021 @ 12:30PM EDT| $400.00
This class is an introduction to the physical sciences including basic chemistry, geology, astronomy and physics. These sciences make the world go around and having a strong introduction in the field will help students succeed later on with their science studies. Middle school students are natural scientists, who with a little direction can walk in the footsteps of Isaac Newton, Marie Curie and Nicola Tesla (to just name a few!) With the help of these famous scientists, we will learn about the scientific method, writing lab reports, and get familiar with the periodic table, gravity, states of matter and much, much more!
This class will use a combination of live and virtual labs.
Students will be asked to complete reading and research ahead of time so that our class time can focus on lectures, discussions, activities, etc. Student are encouraged to take a hands-on approach to learning.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the scientific method
- Distinguish between physical and chemical change
- Explain the states of matter and their properties
- Become familiar with the periodic table of elements
- Interpret data from graphs
- Use formulas for density, mass, and volume to find values
- Use formulas for speed, velocity, distance and time to find values
NOTE: Registration deadline is August 15, 2020.
There must be a minimum of 5 students to run this class.